Monday, May 7, 2012

Journaling: Voice Recital

I haven't journaled since Friday, meaning I missed Saturday and Sunday. But that's okay, just keep on keeping on.

The highlight of Sunday was the voice recital. Taylor started us off just by sitting in the space--a practice I should do more often when I work, whether it be singing or dancing. Then, he asked us to acknowledge what we were afraid of, and to write it down. Then, what our strengths are and write it down.

I was afraid of making some sudden, unexpected mistake as a short-term fear, and as a longer-term fear, knowing that I could go further but not actually doing it.

My strengths, what I could rely, were that I am constantly told that I am grounded. Via Me! said that I have a lot of hope. I took these two together to mean that I can take things in stride and keep going.

Taylor then went on to suggest that our strengths and weaknesses are probably quite similar. Interesting notion. We then ripped up our fears and threw them away.

During the actual voice recital, when I singing, I felt a surge of energy I had never felt before. "Amarilli" suddenly became more real for me than it ever had before. I really felt like telling her to take the arrow and rip open my chest. The energy was so great, I couldn't contain it but didn't know how to let it out.

It was a new experience, and I know it'll come back again. Now I want to work on really harnessing that energy, to create a deeper experience for myself.

"Give a man" was similar, I think, but I had felt something similar in the studio class. It was a different energy, but similar. Again, I look forward to bringing this energy into my work so that I can really indulge in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment