Friday, May 4, 2012

Journal: Voice Lesson

Voice Lessons with Taylor are always great. I always somehow find something deeper in my vocal practice in a lesson. Today we focused on polishing the two pieces, "Give a man a horse" and "Amarilli" for the recital on Sunday. I think we worked a lot on the vowels. Mostly, I needed to keep the vowels forward and brighter. The difference was amazing--Taylor actually physically responded by pulling back, as if the impact of my voice had suddenly, forcefully pushed him away. Singing felt so easy, and the ease actually made me feel more and more powerful. Taylor said I was especially resonant today. So true. I felt as if I was actually a singer today. Congrats to myself. It was a beautiful moment. PS I followed my lesson by heading over to the theater building at school. In the studio, I solidified for myself where that bright, forward place in my mouth was for the vowels. What power. It's amazing that I have this ready for me. I can't wait to show it off. Except that it's not really about some petty need for attention, it's a display of the power of the human voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment